Student Program Presenters, in most cases, will only be available during the semester (not between semesters or during university holiday breaks).
Step 1: Arrange a Visit
The Global Ambassador Program serves the Buncombe and neighboring counties by connecting UNC Asheville students with local community members and area schools as a free public service. Student Program presenters use their international knowledge, experiences and talents to engage pupils in interactive learning experiences designed to be grade-appropriate and to complement textbook and classroom instruction.
Schedules for Student Program Presenters are listed in the View Available Presenters section below. Student Program Presenters, in most cases, will only be available during the semester (not between semesters or during university holiday breaks).
Submitting a Request
To schedule a student speaker, contact the student you are interested in directly (see contact information listed under "Meet our Global Ambassadors". Provide them with the following information:
- SCHOOL NAME
- SCHOOL ADDRESS
- CONTACT PERSON
- PHONE NUMBER
- BEST TIME TO CALL
- DATE(S) REQUESTED
- TIME(S) REQUESTED
- LENGTH OF TALK
- NUMBER IN EACH CLASS OR GROUP
- DATE OF REQUEST
- AGE, GRADE OR ACADEMIC LEVEL
- Q & A (yes/no)
- BRING DISPLAY ITEMS?
Please indicate to the student(s) you prefer if there are specific topics you’d like to be addressed during the presentation:
Schedule a student presenter - find form in the forms section.
Step 2: Student Presenters
Stay tuned for the Spring Student Presenters coming soon...
Step 3: Teacher Preparation Suggestions
Suggestions to help K-12 teachers & other groups prepare for a Global Ambassador visitor:
- Determine the topics you want the student to discuss. Specifying family life, environment, religion, holidays, celebrations, political system, education, changing traditions, etc. provides a focus for the student's preparation.
- Please allow 2 weeks advance notice of requests, to ensure availability. Please note that if you must change the date of your request less than 2 weeks prior to the event, the students may not be able to re-schedule.
- Provide accurate driving directions. Transportation will be provided by the students themselves when possible. If schools can provide transportation, this would be greatly appreciated, though we realize this is not often possible.
- In order to make the visit as meaningful and accessible as possible for the guest speaker and audience, K-12 classes should have no more than 40 (and preferably fewer) students.
- Have the necessary audio-visual equipment set up and in working order (a malfunctioning LCD projector or laptop can waste precious time.)
- Arrange a display table for display items.
- Even though each student has been carefully screened and chosen for the Global Ambassador program, they are not teachers and therefore, should be expected to give no more than two presentations in a row.
- If several talks are scheduled, please see that the student is given a short break and water.
- If students speak to several classes, it is best to have the school children change rooms so that display items already set up do not have to be moved. Having to move and set up twice cuts into the limited time scheduled for the guest speaker.
- Please stay in the classroom, or ensure that a responsible adult is present, to discipline when needed. Showing an active interest in the speaker helps make the student feel welcome.
- If possible, debrief your students after the presentation to assess the impact of the speaker and reinforce lesson goals. Guest speakers are delighted to receive thank you cards from students.
SCHEDULING a Presentation: Please contact the student(s)directly if you are interested in them presenting in your classroom. Let Cara (email@example.com) know if you have trouble contacting a particular student.
AFTER a Presentation: Please complete and return an evaluation form in the forms section.
Constructive comments let the speaker know what aspects of the talk were most valuable and what might be improved. Evaluation forms are available from the speaker, online, or pdf version in the forms section.
Thank you for your support of the Global Ambassador Program. We hope this is a rewarding experience for you and these uniquely qualified students. Let us know what you think!