The Global Ambassador Program serves the Buncombe and neighboring counties by connecting UNC Asheville students with local community members and area schools as a free public service. Student Program presenters use their international knowledge, experiences and talents to engage pupils in interactive learning experiences designed to be grade-appropriate and to complement textbook and classroom instruction.
Student deadline to apply to be a Global Ambassador for Fall: Last working day of August
Student deadline to apply to be a Global Ambassador for Spring: Last working day of January
How to Become a Global Ambassador
- Last working day of August: Global Ambassador application due for Fall Semester
- Last working day of January: Global Ambassador application due for Spring Semester
Thank you for the interest in bringing a global perspective to local learning. We select presenters who are self-motivated to share their international experiences with school children. In exchange, we appreciate your cooperation and commitment to work within the established guidelines.
- Presentations will be scheduled directly between you and the requestor, ideally a few weeks ahead of time.
- If a teacher expresses interest in the program, or in a presentation you offer, refer him or her to the website to complete a request form before you confirm the date.
- Presenters are encouraged to present to as many classes as practical (combined or separate) on each school visit.
- Presenters must attend and complete an informational training session within the first semester of their involvement in the program and have their presentation approved by our staff.
- All email contacts/phone calls should be returned within 24 hours.
Presenters who began last year can start presentations as early as September.
- Last working day of August: Global Ambassador application due
- Early September: Training time and location TBD
- Mid September: Optional Review/Approval of student presentations
- September through November: Students make presentations
- End of Nov: Mandatory meeting/celebration for presenters
Presenters who began Fall semester can start presentations as early as January
- Last working day in January: Global Ambassador application due
- Early February: Training time and location TBD
- Mid February: Optional Review/Approval of student presentations
- February through April: Students make presentations
- End of April: Mandatory meeting/celebration for presenters
Study Abroad in partnership with the Center for Diversity Education are seeking Global Ambassadors for the 2017-18 Academic Year. This is a voluntary position focused on preparing all North Carolina students to become more informed members of our global community.
— Talk positively about your study abroad/international experience to people whenever you can.
— Attend a training (mandatory) and have your presentation reviewed (optional).
— Attend an end of semester meeting.
— Make presentations to K-12 students, and (optional) campus audiences including residence halls, serve on Study Abroad orientation panels, student organizations, the annual Study Abroad Fair, selected classes, special events, etc.
— Other duties as assigned or as suggested by you!
— Previous participation in a study abroad program, current international student at UNCA or have experience living overseas.
— A positive attitude, enthusiasm for study abroad, and a willingness to share your international experience with interested students.
— Ability to use oral and written communication effectively and creatively.
Please complete the Global Ambassador Application form in the Forms section.